Monday, August 13, 2012

Weekly Challenge #83: DuoTangle v. V: Assunta/Mooka

Hey, tanglers! Weekly challenge time. I'm on it early this week because I'm recovering from a long weekend of frolic and fun... and tangling for a couple of hours sounded so much more inviting than laundry. Who knew?

I don't mind Assunta. Mooka, however, is a problem child. It could just be me (and by the looks of Maria's work, it is) but Mooka always seems to look a little too flat and low-contrast to be really satisfying to use. The variation I ended up with is a pattern I really like, though. The pods and curls are nested more loosely, and the stems are 'skinnified' so there is no confusion with what parts to shade and avoid. If you've never used it, here's your heads-up: when drawn 'correctly', Mooka is a little bit of an optical illusion and has to be shaded carefully so as not to muck it up.

Thanks to the Diva as always, for encouraging me to spend time with something I don't like so I could pinch/poke/squeeze/pound it into something I want to use again. :oD

Short post this week, 'cause I'm working on something FUN. I'll share soon.





Thanks for reading... I hope you find a $20 bill in the dryer. Or the dishwasher... I don't discriminate.

PS... one more.


18 comments:

  1. Wow! This is stunning! Right down to the stitches around the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo...I love this...your Mooka is beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really, really nice. Love your variation of mooka. Beautiful tile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both are so fabulous! I love the purple mooka...the way it curves around the pillow like square is so inspirational! The Assunta border on the second is a perfect solution to the 2 tangle challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two great takes on the challenge. I especially love the first. It looks like a piece of beautiful lace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! This is just amazingly brilliant. I've always struggled with Mooka, but I'm going to try and do it the way you do:) Your shading is fabulous, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, the first is my favorite, but the second one is also lovely.

    Annemarie Huijts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I love both of your renditions. The first looks like a beautiful pillow. I'd love to have that design on one of my pillows; the second is just lovely. You have a great imagination and have managed to make using two tangles truly interesting and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like your first tile, the shading & depth are so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are both lovely, the shading is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so impressed by both of these tiles. I would never have dared to try drawing Assunta in the round - I could hardly do it straight! Very nice work, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love both of your tiles...I am finding these kind of hard to put together, but yours just flow!!! Now I am going to go look for that $20 bill!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautifully sparky the first one! Love the color on the mandala!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really enjoy both pieces, amazing. I do like your Mooka with the flavor of Flux, very effective!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love both of them! Your variation of Mooka is really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great work, Sandy. I have struggled with Mooka, and I'm afraid I just don't use it any more. Seeing how Maria uses it is really inspiring, but mine never look like that, and I'm always left dissatisfied...

    Shoshi

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you, thank you, thank you for turning off Word Verification! You are a star. Now commenting isn't just 95% pleasure, it's 100%! Spread the word! Since Blogger introduced this new version, there have been loads of complaints as most times it's pretty well illegible even for people with good eyesight.

    You're a star.

    Shoshi

    ReplyDelete

• ❃ • ❋ • ❁ • ✿ • ✽ • ❀ •
I have comment moderation turned on to filter out all the spammy flotsam, so submitted comments will not appear until after they squeeze by the spam filter (that would be me). ;o) If you'd like a reply, please email me and I will reply posthaste by pigeon or owl within the month (possibly longer, depending on distance and weather conditions).